Here at FeedXL, we are proud to be sponsoring academic institutions, including Universities, Equine Colleges and Technical Schools around the world, through free use of FeedXL for their students.
Educators can contact us directly by completing the form below. Students please direct your teacher to this page and have them complete the form below to request FeedXL access for your course.
A POWERFUL HORSE NUTRITION TOOL AT YOUR (STUDENTS’) FINGERTIPS
HOW TO USE FEEDXL FOR TEACHING
FeedXL can be used in so many ways for teaching. It is great for teaching problem solving, to help your students learn to look at symptoms, take information from ‘owners’ and combine this with what they see on a diet analysis to diagnose nutrition-related problems.
Some examples of how you can use FeedXL for teaching:
- FeedXL can be used to have students formulate suitable rations for various types of horses, using both commercially prepared feeds or a mix of their own raw materials.
- It can be incorporated into forage analysis exercises where FeedXL is used to assess what a forage does and does not contribute to a diet and to explore the many ways feeds and supplements can be used to add the nutrients needed to ‘balance’ what the forages can’t provide.
- You may like to analyse commercially available feeds or raw materials and then use these analyses as part of a ration formulation exercise.
- Or it can simply be used to show students the tools that are available to make their life as equine veterinarians or nutritionists easier once they graduate and have real-life nutrition situations to handle.
So many students get overwhelmed by all the math in equine nutrition that they put it in the ‘too hard basket’ for the rest of their careers.
Our hope is that with FeedXL, your students will be less confused and more focused on learning the valuable nutrition concepts you will teach. Set your students up for a life of enjoying learning and practising nutrition in a way that is simple and yet modern and scientific.
GET THE MOST OUT OF FEEDXL FOR TEACHING
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By receiving free access to FeedXL for educational purposes, you agree to the following terms and conditions. If you have any questions or concerns please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. SET UP
We ask for the following in order to grant free educational access to FeedXL
- Course start and end dates
- Number of students who will require access
- Location of your staff and students (i.e. if the class is held online or across multiple locations/countries we may need to account for this when setting up the access coupon)
If possible, please provide the email addresses of the students who will be signing up for their free FeedXL account. This allows us to monitor the usage of the free coupon we’ll be providing. If not possible, please ask students to sign up using their institutional email addresses.
We ask that educators appoint an in-house ‘FeedXL support person’ to provide first-line support for students who may have trouble using the FeedXL system.
We are available to provide support if you encounter something out of the ordinary, but we ask that your students reach out to you or your appointed FeedXL support person before contacting us directly.
Please have the FeedXL support person become familiar with FeedXL and with what the students will be doing as part of their course. We are happy to provide access in advance of the course start date to allow the support person to familiarize themselves with the system.
3. USE OF FEEDXL
FeedXL is available online, so each student can have their own account and access FeedXL from any computer that has an internet connection; nothing to download and very simple to set up.
Students can each have up to 5 horses in their account and they can create an unlimited number of diets and have access for as long as you would like them to have access.
Within FeedXL, you can upload a custom forage analyses to be made public for your students to use. Please use the ‘Add my own forage’ button on the Feeds page in FeedXL, and follow the steps shown.
If students will be using the same forage (like in a classroom setting), then the instructor should provide a template forage, set it up by following the steps to ‘Add my own forage’, and then the students can make variants or their own forage uploads and edit it themselves. If they all have their own forages then they need to know how to update them themselves.
COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW TO REQUEST FREE EDUCATIONAL ACCESS