Your FeedXL experience is important to us, as is your privacy. We only want to know enough about you to ensure that your FeedXL experience is good and that you get value from using FeedXL. So we need to collect a small amount of information so that you’re actually able to use FeedXL, and a bit more information so that we can communicate with you, and yet a bit more information so that we can improve FeedXL for your future use.
We’ve tried to keep this document lean and easy to read. If anything is not clear or you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com and we’ll do our best to explain further. Please note that publicly available information such as the names of feed companies and their feeds are not covered by this policy.
What data or information do we collect, receive and hold?
- Data you provide when you sign up to create your account
- Mandatory fields required to sign up:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Facebook name
- Email address
- A password you supply to access FeedXL
- The type of FeedXL plan you’ve chosen to use
- Your timezone
- Voluntary fields
- Address including City, Region and Postcode – this may help us determine average feed costs in your area
- Where you heard about FeedXL – to assess the value of our marketing efforts
- What types of activities you do with your horse – to better understand our clients and their needs
- Mandatory fields required to sign up:
- Information we collect automatically about you when you sign up
- Geolocation (what country/region you are logged in from)
- IP Address (the address assigned to you by your ISP)
- Browser and operating system version – to better understand any problem reports you file
- Payment information
- Your plan, its value, and the PayPal email you used to pay for your FeedXL subscription
- While we never see any details of your PayPal account or credit card details, these are retained by PayPal (and we are not responsible)
- Data/information you provide when you use FeedXL
- Information about your horse including its name, age, activity level, sex, weight, breed
- Information about any custom forages or feeds you’ve uploaded
- Any feed costs you have entered
- The amounts of feeds you’re feeding your horse
- Collectively, this information results in diets and diet analyses provided to you by the FeedXL system.
- Data/information created while you are using FeedXL
- When you submit a support request, we will capture the operating system, browser version and IP address in order to be able to reproduce your issue more easily. We don’t currently use this information for any other purpose.
- Your diet-analysis related activity including: uploading of feed analyses, editing feeds, analysing diets, horse and pasture information and feed selections. (what we log about your activity)
- Data provided to us by third parties
- PayPal – your PayPal email address (the email address you were using when making PayPal payments)
- Your email address when you choose to communicate with us (via support or our website or directly)
How we use your information
We use your information to provide the FeedXL service and to improve our product and service.
- Customer data
- We use the information you provide and that we collect about you to provide you with access to FeedXL, to maintain FeedXL and to improve FeedXL.
- We may analyse that information to better understand how you use FeedXL in order to improve our product and/or our marketing of our product.
- We may use your information to communicate with you, either in response to you, or to send you information such as update emails while you are a current FeedXL member, and newsletters while you are subscribed to our email list. Any settings or email preferences you had established prior to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) effective the 25th of May 2018 will be carried forward.
- We use information about you and your account to keep track of your account and payments.
- We log information about your activity while using FeedXL in order to debug issues, outages or other issues relating to the performance of the FeedXL system.
- Payment data
- Specifically related to payment information, we may use your information to better understand your purchase decisions related to our service, and the marketing thereof.
- We do not retain any personal information about your method of payment; we don’t know about or store credit card or bank details. The only information we collect is your PayPal email address which is required to connect your FeedXL account with your payment information to verify that your FeedXL account has been paid for and can be activated.
- Horse and diet data
- We may use information about your horse(s) and diets to better understand how our customers would like to use FeedXL and to improve our product and service.
- We may provide data to feed vendors about how our users use their feeds. This is aggregate data and will never include any information about you specifically.
Voluntary v. Required information
When you sign up to FeedXL we require a minimum amount of information so that you may access and use your FeedXL account:
- Your name, so that we can address you correctly in our communications with you
- Country of residence, so that we can ensure you have access to the right list of feeds, pastures and forages that are appropriate to you
- Email address, so that we can communicate with you, so that you can receive your diet reports by email from our System, and so that you have a unique login to your FeedXL account
- Your choice of FeedXL plan
- Your time zone
- Your account must be protected by a password so that only you have access.
There is also some voluntary information that you can choose to provide which helps us to improve our product, service and marketing:
- Your address helps us to locate you in your country which helps us to support you when querying what types of forages you typically have and whether there are any issues with them (this can speed up our service and resolve your queries more quickly). Your region also helps us understand where our customers reside and how to reach them with our marketing efforts.
- Where you heard about FeedXL gives us important feedback to ensure our marketing efforts are worthwhile.
- The types of activities you do with your horse tell us more about who our target market is. This helps with understanding what you need from FeedXL, how we provide support, and where we target our marketing.
When you are using FeedXL you also provide some information about your horse and how you feed it. This is required information because without this information you could not generate diets specifically for your horse. To be able to generate the recommended daily intakes (RDIs) for each of the nutrients, you are required to provide:
- Horse’s age (birth date), sex, breed, bodyweight, keeper type, condition score, weight goal, disease status, activity level
If your horse is grazing or has access to a free choice forage, you need to tell us the amount of time spent grazing or browsing, and what your horse is grazing or browsing. You may choose to use one of our generic forages, or you may voluntarily provide us with analysis data of your own forage, for your use and we may use it to improve our service.
You also need to provide the amounts of each feed or supplement you are feeding your horse. You may also choose to provide to FeedXL the cost to you of feeds, forages or supplements.
FeedXL uses the information you have provided about your horse to analyse your horse’s RDIs, calculate what is provided by the pasture, forages, feeds and supplements you’ve said you use, and then provide you with a diet showing what is provided and the difference between provided and required. FeedXL may also use any of this information to analyse trends, understand uses and to improve the FeedXL product and service.
If you provided us with your Facebook name when you sign up, we would use this to find your account when you report an issue to us via the FeedXL Facebook group.
Device, Operating System and Browser information
For FeedXL to be widely utilised we have to ensure it works on different devices including computers, laptops, notebooks and notepads, and mobile phones. We also need to be sure it works across different operating systems and browsers, and the combinations of these. So we collect information about your device, operating system and browser in order to keep track of any issues that may arise, and to provide you with support as required.
It is your choice what device, operating system, browser and network you use when using FeedXL. Different browsers in particular may store information or manage cookies differently and you can manage these in your browser preferences settings.
Sharing or disclosing your data
We may share or disclose your Data and other information as follows:
- To provide you a service. We may at times be required to share some of your data with 3rd parties such as mail service providers, for example your name and email address will be shared with newsletter service providers. This is required so we can send you periodical email. Your information is limited to be used only for the services you signed up for.
- During changes to our business structure. If we engage in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganization, sale of some or all of FeedXL’s assets, financing, acquisition of all or a portion of our business, a similar transaction or proceeding, or steps in contemplation of such activities (e.g. due diligence).
- To comply with laws. To comply with legal or regulatory requirements and to respond to lawful requests, court orders and legal process.
- To enforce our rights, prevent fraud and for safety. To protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of us or third parties, including enforcing contracts or policies, or in connection with investigating and preventing fraud.
- Aggregated data. We may disclose or use aggregate or de-identified information for any purpose. For example, we may share aggregated or de-identified information with feed companies or others for business or research purposes like telling a feed company about how their and their competitors’ feeds are used in diets of FeedXL users. These reports would not include any identifying information about specific users.
The data collected and generated within FeedXL, as a collective, may be analysed for trends and statistical information. We may use, share or disclose the results of those analyses for the purposes of improving FeedXL, our service, our marketing, or for financial purposes. No meta data that we share in any way would contain data of individuals, or result in identification of any individuals or horses.
We take security seriously. We follow industry standard best practices for securing your information, both during transmission and once it is received, including:
- We encrypt all traffic between your web browser and our server.
- The personal data you provide during signup is stored in a database protected by a master password, and accessible only to application servers within our isolated private network.
- Access to the application servers and database server is available only to our employees, collaborators, and contractors, who need this information in order to develop and maintain the functionalities of FeedXL applications. All access is secured via private keys or multi-factor authentication.
- Additionally, your password is stored in our database in an encrypted form. We use a 1-way encryption. This means the encrypted version cannot be decrypted. Whenever you enter your password to log in, we encrypt it and compare the two encrypted versions to grant you access to your account.
- We do not store any payment information that can identify you as a person. We do have to store the date and amount of your transactions made to subscribe, upgrade or extend your subscription. This is needed so that the application can identify your subscription periods and validity. This data is stored in the same secure database.
- Data that can identify you as a natural person and generated by our application (ie. logs regarding your activity of using our application) is stored in the same secure database.
We do not have any specific restrictions on children using FeedXL however all users must have some form of payment information which implies that they are either at the age of majority or that their signup has been facilitated by someone who has a payment account with PayPal.
Choices you have about your personal information
You can control what information we have:
- By editing your own details on your My Account page, you can:
- Change your first and/or last name
- Change your time zone
- Change or remove your address (partially or fully)
- Change your password
- You cannot change your email address, but you can ask us to do this for you
You may at any time request that we provide you with what information we have about you personally, and we will do so within 30 days of your request.
You may also at any time request that we remove all your personal information, forever. This also means that your account will be closed and all reference to you and your horses will be gone forever from the active copy of the FeedXL database.
For technical reasons, you cannot be deleted from prior database backups but these are securely stored, only kept for a limited time and are not used except in an emergency. We do have to keep a record of your request to be deleted until all backups that you appear in have been deleted so that we can delete you from them if they are used to recover from an emergency.